For those just tuning in, Bif Naked (née Beth Torbert) is a platinum-selling Canadian rock icon with almost three decades under her belt as a prominent figure, not only in the Canadian music scene, but the entertainment industry at large.
In that meantime, she’s worked alongside some massive names including: Billy Idol, Sarah McLachlan, Foo Fighters, Smashing Pumpkins, Green Day, Dido, The Cult and more. Outside of music, she’s also an accomplished writer, author, poet, actor, voice actor, activist, motivational speaker and entrepreneur. To get a broader scope of the things she’s done, check out her Wikipedia page – she’s been keeping busy!
Things weren’t always easy though. In her adolescent years, she faced abuse, addiction, pregnancy, abortion, divorce and overdose. Since those ordeals, she’s been clean of substances and alcohol, and adopted a vegan lifestyle which she maintains to this day. Between 2008 and 2012, she triumphantly fought breast cancer, kidney failure, as well as underwent and recovered from open heart surgery. It seems she’d let nothing get in her way.
Her experiences and accomplishments shaped Bif Naked into an embodiment of strength, determination and perseverance, inspiring fans and listeners the world over.
Ahead of her Songs And Stories 2020 Tour performance at Aeolian Hall on February 29, I had the incredible opportunity to sit down with Bif Naked… in the flesh! During that time, we discussed some of her mantras and mindsets when it comes to mental wellbeing and self-empowerment – enjoy!
– Discussing her single, “JIM”, and how to overcome JIMs of our own
– How to overcome a sense of martyrdom in toxic relationships and how to feel more self-empowered
– Asking how honesty and openness in our creativity affects who we are as people and artists
– Hyper-sexualization and its role in the music industry
– What it takes to be an outrageous optimist
– Bif Naked shares insight and perspective on how she keeps going when times get tough